CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 28, 2008

Bradstreet

Thesis: Bradstreet has several different elements in creating her poems, beginning with a general point that she is trying to make, which then slips into human emotion such as bragging that shows through her Puritan values, and finally ends in her reaffirming her faith in God.

Anne Bradstreet: Poetry
"To my Dear and Loving Husband"

If ever two were one, then surely we.
If ever man were lov'd by wife, then thee.
If ever wife was happy in a man,
Compare with me, ye women, if you can.
I prize thy love more than whole Mines of gold
Or all the riches that the East doth hold.
My love is such that Rivers cAnneot quench,
Nor ought but love from thee give recompetence.
Thy love is such I can no way repay
The heavens reward thee manifold, I pray.
Then while we live, in love let's so persever
That when we live no more, we may live ever.

Diary: Dear husband, my love for you is such that it is difficult to adiquatly describe in words. I know that god has truly blessed our relationship. I am all the more greatfull to him that he has lead me to you. I know that god is all powerful and that I must be humbled by his very name. I find myself getting carried away at times when I think of you however. I believe that I am more blessed by god than most in this harsh world. Although god has set many trying times before me you are living proof that god has been kinder to me in my life than I deserve. Thank god for you.

Reflection: This poem is from a wife to her husband describing the depth of their love. I found this poem to be very touching and geniuine. It seemed so sincere the way the woman described her love for her husband and very passionate. Bradstreet shows her human flaws at times when she begins to brag to the reader about the sincerity of her love. However, true to her Puritain form, she attributes her good fortune to God in the end.

"In Reference to Her Children"

I had eight birds hatcht in one nest,
Four Cocks were there, and Hens the rest.
I nurst them up with pain and care,
No cost nor labour did I spare
Till at the last they felt their wing,
Mounted the Trees and learned to sing.

Reflection: This poem is using a metaphor comparing Bradstreet's children to eight birds. She uses this metaphor to describe her intense love and devotion to her children. It was very touching how she expressed her love so sincrely for her children. Her whole life seems to revolve around them and she says that even when she's old she will be living with the vivid meories of them. This poem truley acts to describe the love a mother feels for her babies and how protective she is over them.

"Upon the Burning of This House"

And to my God my heart did cry

To straighten me in my Distress

And not to leave me succourless.

Then coming out, behold a space

The flame consume my dwelling place.

And when I could no longer look,
I blest his grace that gave and took

Reflection: This poem was confusing to me at first, but when I studied it further I realized that it is a womans struggle within herself about the human emotions to feel sorry for herself and her loss, and her Puritan beliefs that God knows what is best. I know that it must be hard for her to surpress her distress over the loss of her home and to say that God knows best. I myself would not be able to hold onto my beliefs so strongly. I envy her and the strength of her beliefs but at the same time I feel sorry for her and her inability to express her true feelings.

http://www.annebradstreet.com/verses_upon_the_burning_of_our_house.htm

1 comments:

Brittany Artale said...

I really like the poems and pictures that you chose. I also like the meaning that you got out of each poem and how you expressed this meaning. The depth and emotion tht you put into you diary was very well too. Good Job. =]]