CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Edward Taylor

"Huswifery"
Make me, O Lord, thy Spinning Wheele compleat;
Thy Holy Worde my Distaff make for mee.
Make mine Affections thy Swift Flyers neate,
And make my Soule thy holy Spoole to bee.
My Conversation make to be thy Reele,
And reele the yarn thereon spun of thy Wheele.

Make me thy Loome then, knit therein this Twine:
And make thy Holy Spirit, Lord, winde quills:
Then weave the Web thyselfe. The yarn is fine.
Thine Ordinances make my Fulling Mills.
Then dy the same in Heavenly Colours Choice,
All pinkt with Varnish't Flowers of Paradise.

Then cloath therewith mine Understanding, Will,
Affections, Judgment, Conscience, Memory;
My Words and Actions, that their shine may fill
My wayes with glory and thee glorify.
Then mine apparell shall display before yee
That I am Cloathd in Holy robes for glory.


Reflection: This poem is a mans prayer to God. He uses an analogy to a spinning wheel to ask God to make his life intertwined with his religion. He obviously feels very strongly about his relationship with God and he wants God to be part of his life. He wants all of his words and actions to be blessed with the grace of God.

Huswifery mimicked

Make me oh lord thy blossoming flower;
Your holy words my fragile roots make.
Make my affections the wholesome stalk,
And my soul the life giving leaves.
My conversations make thy chlorophyll,
And feed the blossom thereon grown of your stalk.

Make me then lord thy wreath, entwine therein thy flower:
Make thy holy spirit, lord, the vine base:
Then piece the wreath thyself, the foliage is tender.
Thine ordinances make thy bright ribbon atop.
Then perfume the same in heavenly scents of choice,
All spiced with sweet cinnamon and cloves.

Then hang upon my home mine courage, respect,
Patience, understanding, and peace of mind;
My word and actions may gracefully greet,
All passerby with your glorious way through me who doth glorify you.
Then my dwelling shall display before you,
That I enter a holy home for glory.

1 comments:

Brittany Artale said...

I love you mimic that was really great. It was also interesting how me and you gained the same message from the poem. I also think your picture is very nice, and also fits the poem well. Good Job. =]]